About Me

My photo
I'm a SAHM who began writing, and not just thinking about it, in 2010. I thought graphic design was my future, but was surprised to learn that screenwriting was in my blood. I'm excited to say my first feature length is now being considered for optioning. Life's crazy sometimes, huh? :-)

Monday, January 10, 2011

Dangerous Conditions

I don't think I'm as thoughtful, or as much in need to express myself as I am on days like today, when I find myself housebound, as it's snowed all day, and now the night has heralded the arrival of a  new dangerous element-sleet.  I find myself blogging more than usual in an effort to stave off worry as my loved ones still have a long journey back home on sleet covered roads.

With this sleet that's coming down, I think of the many times that I too, was at mercy to these same said elements, so I know-first hand- how dangerous these conditions can be.  I've played chicken with a building, another car, and a creek in my need to slide across some of that frozen stuff -when I myself had the misfortune to be caught out driving in sleet.

I am grateful that I don't have to chance the elements like I did for years and I wonder, how, as a kid did I ever find sleet and snow so fascinating?  Now I am biting my nails in worry as I know both my brother and my husband have over an hours drive to get home in sleet that coming down at a steady clip now.

Years ago my husband and I were driving towards the mountains when we got caught in a bad rain storm.  This guy was zigzagging through the traffic behind us and eventually he continued this erratic driving as he passed us as well.  It was not too long before I saw him wipe out and head off of the road towards the woods to the right of the highway. 

So I have to ask myself, any condition where the road is slick, where we can wipe out too, why do people not take it more seriously?  I know, of course, there are people that have to work and employers, unfortunately, who don't always respect the elements, and expect you to drive in sleet and snow anyway, but what about those people who don't have to be out in this weather?  What about the people who don't think you can wreck easily?  These are the people we have to worry about the most when out driving in dangerous weather conditions.

I've not made myself feel any less stressed because I have been reminded again about -Dangerous Conditions-when driving in inclement weather, but I do feel better knowing this, my husband and my brother are very cautious drivers, and with God helping steer their vehicles- they will make their way safely home again.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in IL and remember the ice and snow. Not fun! I like the new look for your blog! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I hate it that you had so much snow to deal with in IL. As we've had our share, I know the dangers but when the temperature does not go up enough to melt this mess- I hate it even more.

    It's dangerous and I can't hardly walk outside the hosue without wiping out.

    I am so glad to hear that you like the look of the website that means a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete